Palimpsest Wk 3 Pt 3; Mechanical Error

I wanted to try some new ways to create work from my map of Ruapehu I had used in my previous work on calico (see ‘Printing’ post). I started by photocopying the map on a large old fashioned copier in the studio. The copier accepted the map initially however started to make strange sounds as it printed. It turns out that the ink had dried out and the cooling system has failed causing the paper to catch, crumple, fuse together and the ink came out as a dust. I was disappointed at first with my torn and messy print, however I realised how similar the print making marks and the smudgy ink looked.

This section of the print out had printed a little bit of the map but for the most part had run the ink and smudged it.

I decided to combine this with the original map to create a contrast between the slear crisp original and the messy printed copy.

The work fits in nicely with the rest of the sequence.

I really like how the printed copy is added beyond the edge of the original work, further supporting the theme of working out of a boundary. I really like the pleats in the copied piece caused by the printer malfunction and I think I might continue to texture my work in a similar way. I’m really pleased with how the mechanical error became a successful piece.