Rips & Layers (Palimpsest 4)

Tearing Paper Apart

To make the next piece in my palimpsest series, I extended the use of ripping to create layers. I glued liner notes together and folded them, then ripped them to create two parallel ripped sequences. I really liked the way only parts of an image can actually be seen while most remains hidden. Ripping the pages also made the the process much more random, which was fun. I think there is a lot I could continue to do with using layers and rips.

To make my next work, I used the leftover ripped edges from my last piece. Most of them had become curved in the ripping process, and I thought they looked quite cool so I made some of the flatter pieces curly too. I wanted to incorporate staples again, so I stapled the pieces onto a long unfolded liner note. I think the result looks quite random, like a deconstruction of a liner note! But I really liked exploring what I could do using the ‘leftovers’ from a previous piece, and the shapes made by the ripped edges are interesting when you look at it from different angles.

The strips of ripped paper in my last couple pieces gave me the idea to rip up liner notes and weave them to create a new image. I did this by meshing together two notes, layering them randomly over and under each other, then pasting them down with mod podge. I liked the way the ripped strips were rough rather than neat and straight, and the idea of combining two different images to create a new distorted one. I did this a few more times to see what I could create. After making one of them, I even decided that the back of it looked cooler than the front! (The black and white one on the bottom left).

From here, I think I would like to make a larger scale version of this using multiple liner notes. Maybe I could experiment with more layers and texture within this, and try some different techniques. I am happy with how my palimpsest is going now 🙂