Palimpsest: Evolving

With the next artworks I was beginning to feel a bit stuck with the direction I was moving and wasn’t enjoying what I was making much. I had just come back to the student halls and didn’t have many supplies. Lacking paper, I decided to just make due with the book pages that I had and add some paint to add some contrast. I wanted to burn more of the pages but I really did not want to set the smoke alarms off in my flat so decided to move away from the idea.

1st photo: The work in progress 2nd photo: The finished work

I was lacking much inspiration in this pathway, but I decided to bring the longer strips of sentences and the female figure into my next work. I did this one in the studio and by chance stuck some of the silver pins for hanging work into the bottom. This was something I really liked and I really wanted to explore more of. I finally saw a good direction to take my future works instead of just sitting stagnant. I also finally had a workbook and a little bit more supplies.

1st: 3rd artwork
2nd: I unintentionally made some poetry with some of the strips of paper which I thought was quite nice.
3rd & 4th: Artwork in progress

With this new idea I made a start on a new artwork. I quite liked the layered pages so continued this on. I thought that the blank page behind looked too empty so my water bottle over the paper to wet it a little bit through the condensation on the outside of my bottle. I then held it up to the window and traced the wet marks with a black pen and further went around these with sharpie.