‘Seeing Shadow Shapes’ – ‘Discovering’

‘DISCOVERING – UNCOVERING – RECOVERING’. Part 1: Discovering a part (Central Business District: CBD) of Tāmaki Makaurau as a tourist.

Walking around the city of Tāmaki Makaurau (a fertile isthmus, and a land where I was born), I strangely felt like a tourist with a camera in the hand, even though I knew the area well. The Auckland metropolitan area or CBD is the economic powerhouse, like a pumphouse or pumping station, full of fluid movement and life.

Architecture – Auckland Art Gallery
Architecture – Auckland Art Gallery: From the Inside, looking out.
Architecture: Points and Angles.

Following, or leading as a pair, and turning either left or right after a coin toss result, my peer and I unearthed many discoveries along new pathways. For me, I noticed an old haunt such as The University of Auckland’s layout and structure had dramatically and physically changed since the early nineteen nineties.

Architecture Reflections.

I started my tourist journey by documenting architecture, old and new. I focused on locating points and angles, dark and light shadows, and reflections that stretched skyward. Stopping and starting, looking up and down, I had to rearrange my body position to capture the best shot. I discovered many plants (often weeds such as ivy hiding fleshy fungi) crawling up man-made structures. Unfortunately the smartphone screen often became dark in the bright sunlight, and the image was hidden just as I clicked.

Architecture: Sky Tower Reflection

We each noticed and photographed different aspects and angles on our circular pathway. We headed up towards Symonds Street, walked down onto a snake-like bridge above the motorway, then ended up in Albert Park by passing tree-lined streets. We only covered a minute part of the CBD, but we were fully engaged searching for interesting and odd shapes and sounds, and listening to the city talk.

Cityscape

It was stimulating to click and collect documentation at our own pace, and focus on shooting snapshots at a range of levels. I was struct by the amount of newly constructed high-rise buildings growing in competition, and pushing up against, or replacing some of the old architecture. Some contemporary builds shone striking designs, their steel structures holding precious cargo of shiny glass planes. Yet, many were not that pleasing to the eye.

Auckland Art Gallery Sculpture
Discovering Gaping Shapes.
Finding patterns.
Fire Hydrant Reflective Details.
AUT Sculpture
AUT Patterned Roof Lines and Sculpture.
AUT: A Concrete Tree.
Albert Park: A carpet of grass warms the Giant’s toes.

By the time we reached Albert Park, I had strengthened my relationship with my buddy, my camera and the city. I was doing a lot of noticing!

Albert Park: Autumn rain refreshes and brings colour back to the Giant.
Autumn fungi reaches for the sunlight.
Wandering Ivy shields fungi growth.
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Church-stone-2-1024x758.jpg

I like the juxtaposition between the old and the new architecture, and how the buildings now represent a different age, culture and spiritual value. I like how their bodies lean towards each other, as if for company. The church was built as tall as possible for aspiring worshippers to be close to heaven. The century old Gothic church, beautifully adorned with texture and patterns and solid in stone, seems rooted to the ground. Yet, it can not compete to reach the heights of heaven, compared to its contemporary twin tower apartment block neighbours, that are streamlined and light-looking, and very height driven.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Church-2-high-Rises-copy-1024x820.jpg
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Church-Stone-1.jpg

‘DISCOVERING – UNCOVERING – RECOVERING’ – 13th April, 2021. Part 1: Discovering a part (my home place) in Tāmaki Makaurau as a detective. Walking home in the suburbs, and slowing down to notice details such as light and dark shadow contrast.

Discovering and Uncovering on Bus Stop Walk Home – SEEING CLOUDS SAIL THROUGH WORN POWER-POLE WIRES.

Walking home from the bus stop, I noticed my shadow dancing in front of me, and the stretched-out shadow of a power pole in the afternoon sun, and more mushrooms!

Discovering and Uncovering on Bus Stop Walk Home – SEEING LONG, OUTSTRETCHED AFTERNOON SHADOWS.
Discovering and Uncovering on Bus Stop Walk Home – STEPPING ON MY SHADOW.
Discovering and Uncovering on Bus Stop Walk Home – NOTICING LAYERS OF FUNGI FLESH.
Discovering and Uncovering on Bus Stop Walk Home – FRILLY FUNGI FLOWERING LIKE SEA CORAL.
Discovering and Uncovering on Bus Stop Walk Home – SEEING SPIKY SHADOW SHAPES AT THE FRONT DOOR.

One is never quite sure what the lens will deliver, therefore photography is exciting to me. Today as a photographer explorer (a tourist in the city and a detective in the suburbs), I enjoyed taking risks into the unknown, and I re-discovered the city by uncovering new details. Cathy, 13th April, 2021.