Familiar walk – Discovering – Uncovering – Recovering

For my familiar walk, I decided to include my journey home on the train from where I board. For my familiar walk, I wanted to try and capture my hometown as what it is, the country. I like when the city bleeds in with the country side of New Zealand so I am going to play around with these two concept’s for now. This Photo was taken on the train heading towards Pukekohe from Papakura train station. The train is a bit older than the ones you would get on it Britomart, and it has more of a 70s style to the train, explaining the small cube shaped windows.
this photo was taken at the Glen Murray Cemetery, which is a 15 minute drive from my house. I took interest in this tree because of the green moss growing on the tree trunk and how it hung over top of me in a curved manner.
this photo was also taken at the Pukekawa Cemetery which is only a 5 minute drive from my house. Its buried consist of the Tonga family and their extended family which have lived in Pukekawa for a long time and even have a road named after them. The cemetery had a lot of objects placed on graves like this old boot, there also was graves with unopened beer bottles, toys and even plants purposely planted on top of some graves.
Here is another photo from the same cemetery of the toy cars on one of the graves.
This photo was taken of the old Pukekawa school that opened in 1917 and closed in 1970. When looking for what to photograph when it comes to old buildings like this, i try and take photos of what is original, like the old doors, especially when they are interesting shapes and colours.
This photo was taken of the old Pukekawa church which is still in use. At this point I had taken an interest in the old church doors that I find that are usually painted with colour.
This is the Pukekawa Library, Again what I noticed with this small building is the faded red door. Most of the photos that I have taken are of older buildings, i have always liked the way old churches and old buildings have looked and enjoy the old style architecture, I also like the imagery of colour standing out from the background or its surrounding’s.