Book Binding workshop

26 May

We went to the bookbinding studio. Our group were taught bookbinding techniques and how to use the relevant machines for that workshop. We were introduced to the guillotine and drilling machine. I have seen similar processes when I worked at a printing company last year. I was a packer, however, I was able to see the process and help as a bookbinding finisher.

Our instructor taught us how to make a pad using eva glue. The pages were uneven so I used a electric guillotine to even the pages out. We were able to experiment and decorate the book by foiling. We used eva glue, placed the foiling wrap and used the pressing machine to flatten it out.

Our group was introduced to the drilling machine. I normally just watch and see people use the drilling machine at a printing company. The drilling machines are more upgraded in AUT I was scared using it. Although, when we started using it, I felt more comfortable using the drilling machine.

I asked our instructor if I was able to learn how to do a hard cover book. We were able to learn how to make the hard cover book. I was excited and wanted to learn to do more. These were time consuming but I enjoyed making my own book.