Reflection

When I was first introduced to palimpsest I couldn’t wrap my head around it but after doing further research I felt a strong connection to the topic. I started by collecting found media and began developing ideas based around music. This expanded into sound waves and grid like patterns using black and red as my main colour inspirations.

This was was personal to me because music tells stories and comes with many emotion which connect to individuals. Palimpsest is about developing work while still being able to look back at your original idea and still seeing traces of it throughout the rest of your work. I really enjoyed playing with the different aspects I was opened up to. For example print making, creating stickers, printing on unfamiliar paper etc. I found the use of old books and paper gave character to my work as-well as translucent paper to carry my theme of layering. I disliked not being able to plan my work as I was still in the mindset of NZQA. Breaking out of this mindset opened my eyes and let my creativity run wild and I fond myself enjoying this palimpsest topic much more.

My work is very pleasing to look at due to the neatness of it. I included graph paper to enhance this look. When finishing my wall I played with red wool to add some layers to emphasise the border and musical lines as-well as texture.