Week 4

The artist that I was inspired by is Teamlab Borderless, Japan. I had the privlage of visiting this great exibit, and was so inpired by their work with light and interaction.

Art by pace Gallery, Martin Browne contemporary and Ikkan art international gave me the idea to make my art peice interactable, to tie in that childhood dream I wanted to include a game, ‘how many Cat in the Hat’s do you see?’

Review: The Next Coming of Kara Walker | WNYC News | WNYC
Kara Walker, creating depictions of slavery in a cartoonish silhouette, which gave me the idea to cut out ‘Cat in the Hat’ so its a negative space of what was there before.
Instead of it being the main subject I wanted to ‘hide’ them and turn it into a game to fit the childhood theme.
The original interior i used childhood books as wall paper, when i should be looking at them as objects
Ive had some people play the game,
its trickier then people think. there
are 18, people can only find 8-16

I changed the inside, taking the advice of my teacher I treated them as objects, using them to create shadows and revealing, instead of just a cover up.

Simplifying my area. (above) Outlining shadows which relates to my theme, light and shadow. (below)

Outside: sheet is used to tie in the nostalgia and cover up the desks.

Im happy about how this turned out, everytime someone comes in they are gasping, and reminded of their childhood which was the overall goal. If I could change anything it would be to make more of the layering art works and create much more complex layeing, possibly with no border.