Final Presentation

Having a predominantly black image with this singular figure engulfed in shadows was to show how men are in the dark when it comes to masculinity and showing emotion. They act normal around family and friends but when they’re alone they are left with their thoughts. I wanted to show their vulnerability and have that as a focal point across all three images 

I invited all three of my friends into the studio so that they could fish the pieces themselves. I gave them a white marker and just said “show me masculinity”, what they drew over the images was what they came up with. 

I liked how they all took different approaches to the task. Drawing, poetry, tagging etc. I think this really grew their confidence as men. Having their photo taken, blown up to A0, and then drawn over by themselves would be an easy task for most, but my boys kept second guessing themselves. I simply told them “draw what you want, who gives a shit what anyone else thinks” and that pushed them to start lol. 

The tagging done on top really cemented that this was theirs, that they owned this piece now. I’m just glad I could give them a piece that highlights them as individuals and gives insight into what people go through even when they are mistakenly shown to be strong and brave.  

Ive formatted it to show a seclusion. The first image shows him outside, the second standing in the doorway and the final being shot inside. I did this to represent how men are shutting in their feelings and not properly expressing it.

Ive really enjoyed this brief as its expanded the way I see and interpret the surroundings around me. It’s made me more attentive and has highly influenced me in choosing what minor and ultimately what major I’ll be partaking in.