Art Machines – Finger Painting

Performance Workshop

This morning I took part in the performance workshop led by Dieneke. It was a very interactive and enjoyable. The first task was to first prepare by pinning up the roll of brown paper along the wall. Then using elastic bands join ourselves together so both hands were attached to another’s. In this position we were tasked with drawing on the brown paper with both hands, while considering our peers. Would we work together to make an image, or allow one to lead and the other follow. I found my right hand to be more active, despite it not being my dominant hand. My left hand followed the direction of my peers movement, creating a duplicate of his drawing.

The next activity was for us to get into groups of five and figure out a way of making a machine using our bodies. It took my group a while to figure out what we would create. However by taking equipment such as buckets, pegs and elastic we soon starting playing around with ideas. First was for us to use levels, and have each of us at a different height. With the previously used elastic, we stuck with the previous exercise and linked our wrists together. In a full circle using the buckets, we hung them off our joint hands. Slowly forming into a game, with our pegs the aim was to throw them in. However, Bella suggested that we go in the elevator. So that we did, and it ended up being a very fun group activity.

Finger Painting

With our art machine we decided to simplify our ideas, thanks to Amber’s help. Since steam was not suitable for the studio environment we decide to scrap that aspect and continue with our glove chandelier. By adjusting the height, the chandelier was lowered for the gloves to touch the floor. With A3 paper we covered the floor so the gloves could freely cast marks. We decided to not use brushes or markers but to either dip the fingers in paint. Or fill them with paint and poke holes. This will be a later experiment once we have more paints. As well we are planning on scattering cups filled with paint around the floor, and hopefully the gloves will knock them over as they spin. Thanks to Ian, we are able to get the chandelier spinning using his 3D printed bracket.