Paint Print brief Week 1

This week we are beginning a brief of our chosen options, mine being paint/print. Our task for this week requires a hefty amount of experimentation and not giving a damn about the aesthetic outcome of the experimentation. Prompts for this were brainstorming different verbs that could apply to the application of paint and other mediums. This process takes away the full control over the experimental works, pushing us to use new and different thought processes when approaching creating art works.

My first experimentations are shown above. Using string coated in paint I layed and twisted the string on a piece of paper, folding the paper in half covering the string entirely I then applied pressure to all the paper and pulled the string out the bottom creating this really cool pattern effect. My first experiment of this didnā€™t turn out too good as the paint didnā€™t sit on the paper and just came out with the string. Moving forward I soaked the string in water, allowing for more saturation/application of the paint onto the paper. This worked perfect!

I then moved on playing with different colours and ways to lay the string, the results from this reminded me of abstract lily flowers. So sweet be random! Without intention I resulted in a really cool piece of work. I wanted to push this technique forward so using different paper and blank paint as opposed to coloured I tried this one more time. The result was stunning and reflected to me what an X-ray vision on plants would look like, the brown paper really added to the overall result of this. The 5th experimentation I proceeded to build on top of experimentation 4, I thought it looked gorgeous with the additions of more string paint structures.

There are a few Artists I have found whose works look at X-rays of flowers and plants, these artists are most commonly photographers. https://xraypics.wordpress.com/history-of-x-ray-art-and-artists/

Artists in relation to this experimentation
Prompts for this experimentation came from the verbs ā€˜rollā€™ ā€˜soakā€™ ā€˜squishā€™ and ā€˜cutā€™.Using a paint roller, I rolled house paint onto a large strip of brown paper. Use of a paint roller allowed for a quick random application, I then cut out a circle with patterns so I had something to ā€œtraceā€ but with paint, using a sponge and soaking it with black paint i could give the black and white paint the same texture once applied to the paper. I have found fabrics such as Doilies that I could use and/or look at for further experimentations, minimising my control on these works a much as possible.
Colour! Squiggly lines! For this experimentation I used the verb ā€˜dragā€™ as my prompt, randomly dragging different tubes of paint onto the paper I got a nice mixture across the paper. I proceeded to used a piece of cardboard to drag the paint across the paper moving it up and down to create the squiggles. I found it really fascinating because I unintentionally created a texture on the paint from the corrugation in the cardboard I thought that was a cool extra technique I could expand on.
Using a different medium as opposed to acrylic paint I used acrylic ink that came in a bottle with a dropper. I was able to drop small amounts of the ink all over the paper and then use my fingers to drag the paint across the page, creating smooth fluid lines across the page. I loved the use of acrylic ink as opposed to acrylic paint as I soaks into the paper much easier.
For this experiment my verbs were, ā€˜soakā€™, ā€˜dragā€™ and ā€˜dabā€™.
For these small experimentations my verbs were push and pull. The first image is made from crushing charcoal sticks into smaller pieces, randomly putting it on the paper and proceeding to push and pull along with my fingers. This process was also the same as the second image, instead with that I used a different medium which was a highlighter crayon.

I loved the random streaks amongst the first two works so in a third attempt i wanted to add multiple colours. Using pastels I lined them up in rainbow order and once again with the same process I push and pulled the pastels across the page though this was in a more controlled manner. If I was to experiment with this idea again I wouldnā€™t use as much control and just go for it, allowing the lines to be messy and more random.