Week 1: Painting

This week was all about creating works with verbs i.e throwing, mixing, tearing.

My first few works I focused on smearing, dragging and brushing.

For the pink and green work, I soaked the paper with liquid green paint, layered pink paint on top and dragging it across the surface with some cardboard. I also then paint the brim of a cup and stamped them multiple times onto the surface.

For the Blue and Orange work, I gesturally brushed paint around multiple time with different paint and then dragged paint across using cardboard.

For the Blue work, I crumpled up the piece of paper, unfolded it, and then dry brushed of the creases. For the Green and Blue work, I painted on top of some tissue paper and then stamped it onto the paper, transferring the textured pattern. Then I also did some dry brush.

For the Black, Red, White and Green work, I smeared down a thick layer of black and then moved paint around using a mixing knife

Wanting to explore different techniques, I decided to go in the opposite direction of using thick paint, and to start using thin paint. In the first work I dripped a lot of watered downed paint onto the paper and in the second work I soaked the whole piece of paper with water and dotted paint onto it.

And in the third work, I flicked on some watered down pink paint then poured some thicker green paint, folding the paper in half, transferring the paint. I really liked how this turned out and how theres different textures and amount of paint of the surface- it almost still looks wet.

In the 4th work i poured some thin paint onto the paper and the moved the paint around by tilting and rotating the paper. I really liked how organic this looks, like a spider web.

In the 5th work, I saw emma working with vaseline and like how it came out, so I borrowed the idea and smeared some vaseline on paper so it would resist paint, and poured thin paint onto it and dripped some paint onto it. I think it turned out cool how the vaseline had little drops of paint holding onto it, looking almost wet like a car window, I think this is also a really interesting way to ‘subtract’ paint.

For the pink work, I wanted to see how it would turn out if I combined the techniques I’ve done so far into one work. So, I soaked the paper the thin paint, smearing it around. Then using a piece of cardboard to smear around thick paint at the top forth of the paper. I then messily scribbled of the corner with some paint and then splattered some paint.

I also wanted to test out a different consistency of splattered paint, trying out a thicker paint rather than thin paint that I was doing previously. I like the thicker splatters as you can see it more clearly and had more texture and movement than the thin paint splatter which is much smaller and some what uniform.

I then wanted to ty out different textures or materials. I crumpled up s piece of paper and soaked it in paint. Because of the creases, it created a texture that stood out from the paint. I also soaked a piece of calico and smeared thin out paint over it with my hands, mixing, layering and throwing down paint.

I liked how in the crumpled paper, textures stood out from the paint, so I wanted to try this with calico. Because I didn’t think creasing the calico would work as well as it did with paper, I decided to tear and use sand paper to remove and scrap off some calico to create texture and then soak the calico with paint.

I also want to mix and layer paint onto calico again- expect this time with thick paint. I layered different colours of green using a palette knife. I really enjoyed how this came out as you can see all the texture of the paint and where I moved the paint with the palette knife.

I also tried the method of soaking a piece of string, placing into an ‘s’ shape on paper, folding it, placing pressure of the surface as I pull the string out from between the folded paper. On my first attempt, I had to much paint on the string, creating this texture.

On the sec attempt, I dry brushed paint onto the string, and this was that outcome. I really enjoy how this creates a lily flower- like image. I also think it’s a very interesting was to create marks with paint, we can see the imprint of the string and how it moves across the paper, smearing paint.