lockdown update!

So far, I have been all over the place trying so many different ideas. This was good for the time being, but I need to narrow down my ideas; the work of Helen Frankenthaler is fascinating to me. She was inspired by Jackson Pollock and the ‘happened’ quality of his work. She said, “technique determines aesthetic, as much as one’s aesthetic determines a new medium” her work has freedom and fluidity to it; that is what I am most drawn to. I think I can take the technique of Helen Frankenthaler work and use the movement from the original photo and combine the two of them; the original photo I am talking about has two people running down a pathway. I am so fond of this image because of the freedom and movement that the figures have. In last week’s work, I have been focusing too much on the aspects of the photo, e.g., the diagonal and horizontal lines.  I need to look at the movement rather than the photo. Another way I could leave the ‘lines’ alone would be to cut my paper into the shapes that are seen; so that the construction of the paper becomes the construction of the context for the gesture and movement.

Helen Frankenthaler: the triumph of colour — AWARE Archives of Women  Artists, Research and Exhibitions
Helen Frankenthaler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SL4OkdJjOc

My workspace and materials during lockdown

-decent sized desk, as well as access to my dad’s workshop/shed

-range of acrylic paints and limited colours of house paints and brushes of different sizes

-paper of varying sizes and thicknesses (black and white)

-a few canvases, one over two meters long (with a few holes in it)

-range of pens, pencils, markers, crayons

-Indian ink

Work I made on the last day of studio, before lockdown

I like the use of positive and negative space in the biggest painting to the left, this was just an experiment but I was surprised at how it came out. I made the first painting using blues in the background, and the Indian ink on top was just a mistake. I was trying to clean the rest of the ink of my brush and ended up doing work that came out really well. The contrast the Indian ink creates is really fascinating to me, and I want to take this further.