Process Into Image; Week 4 “Exploring printmaking vocabulary”

I’ve been exploring many painting and drawing techniques over the course of this brief but barely experimented with any printmaking opportunities.

This week I wanted to use my charcoal line work to create new pieces. I decided on a line drawing of The Girl With a Pearl Earring to create from.

I was very lucky to have Sarah willing to teach me screen printing techniques as she has been doing a lot of screen prints for her minor. Taking this design, I prepped a screen with Sarah’s help, then did a series of prints on fabric. I experimented with centering the print as well as printing at odd angles or overlapping my prints. NOTE: I will attach images of these when we are out of lockdown and I can take photos of the finished prints.

My plans were to try create a series of prints similar to Andy Warhol’s Marilyn Monroe pop art works. I hope to layer multiple colours of this line work onto one piece for an abstract bright look once we can get back into studios.

Andy Warhol ‘The Marilyn Diptych’, Acrylic Paint on Canvas (screenprinted), 1962

I was really excited to experiment with this medium so it was disappointing to be put into lockdown just as this experimentation began. I hope to explore other forms of printmaking I may be able to do at home and will chat with Luca about how I could do this.