Artwork Reflection 4.

ARTWORK REFLECTION 4.

‘Head Bouquet’ ‘Abstract Representation’ Steel Sculpture, Photography

Fig 1. ‘Head Bouquet’ Steel Sculpture, Photography

Turning a spring steel mattress into a sculpture has been a first for me.  I was pleasantly surprised how both the large King-size mattress and the steel mattress inside the base were light enough to carry.  

Firstly, I wanted to cut the steel into long strips, after dismantling them both from the timber bases.  I am glad I didn’t journey into that direction, because the steel parts would have collapsed, leaving no form to work with.  Therefore, it was easier just to bend, and re-join by connecting both mattress parts.

I enjoyed interacting with the steel, with wire and plyers, even though my body got hooked up on occasion as I entered the tunnel of space between the rolled up steel mattress.  I rearranged the material many times (creating a Mother and Child scenario) and eventually chose an aesthetic position, look and shape that appealed.  I assembled the steel parts into a seashell shape, similar to the Conch shell that I used in the Techno-realism Regard 3 Meshmixer brief.  

Constantly looking at, and shifting the sculpture in the occupied space, I changed the outer layer of steel to curve around into a large cylinder shape.  The cylindrical hemisphere type form became a tent, opening wide at the top end, like an opening of a cave.  Crouching down to slither like a snake into the cave, there was no way out, the cave closed inwards to a smaller opening at the bottom end of the sculpture.  

To strengthen the outside body, I inserted into this cave, the smaller spiral of steel. It clasped onto its mother’s stomach, as if growing inside.  This smaller form spatially occupies the larger body, and the outer body protects the smaller shape like a container protecting an object.  The inner sculpture creates a repetitive pattern effect of the steel skin, because there are many layers.  A circular space (see photograph below) within the smaller central figure becomes an element that adds interest.  Yet, unless the viewer lowers their body position, it is not able to be viewed from the front.  This positive and negative spiralling tunnel opens to the sky, and can be seen if you walk around to the side of the sculpture.

Fig 2. Inner spiral tunnel of ‘Head Bouquet’ Steel Sculpture, Photography

The large spiralling body of the sculpture, like a lily flower, or a profile of a head widens and also opens its top torso to the sky, and thus the world.  Perhaps the protector outer figure is reaching for the rain to quench its thirst, or wishing the sun would warm its steel skin, and its form within.  Shadows dance in and out of its see-through, circular criss-cross patterned body, reminding me of the beautiful installation: ‘The Web of Time’, by Japanese artist Chiharu Shiota (see my earlier post).  Now, I have installed this mattress sculpture high up a wall, I envisage adding lighting to follow along the web like structure of the steel, to add another reality, a gleaming glow worm cave at night time. This is inspired by the woven effect of the steel, and my memory of Shiota’s lit web.

After trialling the sculpture in the garden, its colour and shape became lost and camouflaged against the tree and vine backdrop.  Changing the place and space of the sculpture’s site, the sculpture now seems to grow straight vertically like a tree, or bends inwards if it is viewed from another angle. Yet, it is far more effective, and more defined against a black painted backdrop, and the sculpture can now claim its own space. It is also free to breathe, unlike its previous habitat inside a mattress, and mattress base.  I like the reddy brown rust colouring of Corten steel, and thus look forward to seeing the sculpture’s body adapt and change colouring through the seasons like a deciduous tree. It may even gain a mossy green coat.

Overall, I am pleased how my new body sculpture has evolved. It looks like a large head turned in profile with a small neck at the ground base, or perhaps it is a spiraling lily flower. Composed of steel rubbish and a disused product, I was able to bend, fold and combine two steel mattress forms into a single mass, plus change the original function of a bed into a new concept and form.