(1) Process Into Image – Painting with Verbs

Dapple with crumpled tissue paper:

For the first part of this brief, we were tasked with creating a series of works using Richard Serra’s classic 1967-8 piece ‘Verblist’ as a point of start. The brief’s entire objective is to inspire you to create work with verbs. “Actions relate to oneself, material, place, and process”. I began my first piece with the verb ‘dab’. I blended brown and pink paint to make this rustic and darker pink; it appears pink in some lights and brown in others.

I didn’t know where to begin, so I crumpled the tissue paper I was using and dabbed it onto the paper. It then generated intriguing patterns that resembled a subtle brain structure. I also diluted down the paint I used, which formed different layers when it dried; I like how it looks since some portions of the painting are more apparent than others, some darker than others. The darker dried layering virtually causes shadowing when compared to the areas where the paint layer was thinner, resulting in a lighter colour.

Slapping:

The second item I created used the verb ‘slap’ or ‘slapping’. I had a lot of fun making this, but it was also uncomfortably painful because I was hitting the paper against the hard concrete ground. It was somewhat cathartic to create this painting, just as it is to slap something or someone in real life. I felt all of my pent-up rage pouring out of me, and I thought it was fantastic. I really like how this piece turned out. The texture and my obvious hand prints make it clear that the verb I used to create it was slapping. Seeing it up close is fascinating since you can see my fingerprints and palm lines, albeit distorted into some nonsensical patterns. It’s like a system of intricate tunnels or veins.