Painting 9: I Painted

Wow! I painted! In lockdown! Amazing.

Although I’m not sure how painty my paintings that I painted are, considering that it’s not all fluid and brush. Especially when you compare my usual paintings outside of university, which are mostly oil paintings, I’m not sure that my studio works have been as much of paintings.

Oh well, I suppose that using a paint marker can be considered painting since they eject acrylic paint.

Above is the beginnings of an A6 painting, and my paint water that I thought was pretty. The painting is quite similar to my larger A0 paintings, so I wanted to see what I could do to make it a little more interesting.

Here are three finished paintings, including the middle one which is the finished version of the first image of this post. I have altered the colour qualities of these photos to properly represent what they look like in real life, as I took them under a lamp. Although, on my phone they look good and on my PC they look far too oversaturated. Oh well, the bold colours are nice I guess. It might be because I have my monitor’s saturation all the way up…. Yeah…

In these paintings, I tried to see them as swatches or sketches so that I would loosen up a little about my mark-making and I think it worked. This was also aided by the fact that they are far smaller than my studio paintings which I felt harboured a lot of pressure.

I employed many layers in these paintings to invite visual depth and compositional complexity. I think that I have achieved this to a certain degree, especially in the last one. I am pleased with the mix of colour-blocking and detailed line-work that went into it, and different aspects pop out as you look around the image.