Sculpture – Verisimilitude 3

“You are invited to go out-side to make a series sculptures or site
interventions in your garden, yard or driveway”

1.

After looking at the artist models in the brief, I was inspired by Layne Waerea, (Waiting for) Free Rain, 2014. She hangs buckets on a washing line, and this gave me the idea to do something similar with different objects. The monkey bars are overgrown and make a great backdrop for a photo and I desperately wanted to change the space. I was imagining this space as a tunnel or enclosed space when inventing ideas, and when I thought of the umbrellas I was so excited to try. The umbrellas work within the space of the monkey bars, and wouldn’t hold the same shape without the bars there. The plants are also doing their part in holding the umbrellas up and off the grass. They fill the space out really well, and look super striking within the space.

2.

With Adrian within our bubble, we collaborated on a series we called “No Playing”. We used chalk to write a subversion of the action you would normally perform on these objects. These are very site specific, due to the words being specific to the objects and their relationship to each other around the playhouse. Without the context of this being a private play area, these signs would not have the same impact. This is because of Covid-19, and all public playgrounds being closed to the public. A private play space being off-limits is unnecessary and strange so this intervention is interesting and unexpected.

3.

4

The tire swing has been around in the garden since I was a kid. Every time we have used it since it was put up, it was covered in spiders webs that had to be cleared off before being used. I decided to use some thick rope to weave my own web to keep this swing from being used. The whole piece makes such a stunning sight, especially in the bright sun. It almost glowed. I just had fun and played with this one, weaving the rope into patterns intuitively.

I think I’d enjoy continuing with the spider web idea. As a person with a fear of spiders I do prefer to steer clear of places with webs, but I can acknowledge how stunning webs are. I would love to embrace the shapes of spiders webs in my work.