Process into Image – Week 1

We are introduced to our new brief and it involves making marks through action led processes. We were told to choose verbs to create artwork and I was keen on this task as it allowed us to do whatever we wanted with wet or dry media that we had.

I chose paint as media for making artwork so I decided to spread the three acrylic colour paints that I had which was cool red, yellow, and blue on to tissue paper. Then I rolled it up and left it for a few minutes.

Opened it up and it has both the back and front with paint on it so I ripped them apart, and I’m left with two artworks that look the same. With one of them I fold it twice and the other I used a piece of plastic and dragged it across the paper.

The artwork of how I fold the tissue paper twice was the one I was really satisfied with because it looked like a pattern and almost similar to Silvia Bachli a Switzerland artist’s artworks with the use of lines. However I also enjoyed the work where I used a piece of plastic and dragged it across the paper due to the outcome and some of the marks made on it, I thought of the artist from the lecture slideshow named Gerhard Ritcher a German visual artist. Ritcher uses a squeegee and drags it across the canvas different to what I have done in terms of size but very similar.

Also experimented with a bit of foil and applied the dragging technique using the piece of cardboard, I then decided to print it on to a piece of paper to see what it would look like. I enjoyed applying the dragging technique onto the foil as it created a different outcome, it was also changing up the way I dragged the paint across the surface creating these lines which look brush strokes.

Cardboard, plastic, and fabric were other materials I did some experimentation on