Verisimilitude ‘Real: Material Assemblages- artist

A group of artists called How We Dwell curated an exhibition of assembled items. The items were all found washed up on the beach, polluting the ocean. They turn the rubbish into artwork. I enjoy how these artists haven’t just made assemblages, but they have used otherwise unwanted items that would end up polluting our earth. By giving them a new life, they have created meaningful conferences.

A work I came across by François Ghebaly grabbed my interest; the work has a sense of unstableness to it; as all the stacked items rely on the strength of the glass panels to hold it up. Even the fact that a tiny movement could cause the whole assemblage to fall and break gives it a sense of unsettling to the viewer; unlike the assemblage above, it is not bound or held together by anything other than weight and gravity.

This work is an assemblage made by an artist I could not find the names of, but I thought I had to include it. This work is made up of half an orange and half a lemon; they are both sewn together by a needle and thread. I was drawn to the almost forced nature of this work as it looks like the fruit is being made to be one instead of being separate. They are also joined by a needle and thread, making me think of a human-like element to it, like a human with stitches or an attached limb.