Verisimilitude; Week 3 “Learning to Digitally Assemble”

When James told us we’d be moving to a digital platform for our assemblages, I was one of those people thinking “I can’t do computers”. Mesh Mixer is the program we’d be experimenting with, and while the instructions sounded easy enough, I was in way over my head.

I faced countless frustrations and challenges trying to get this to work for me. Initially, I downloaded all my objects and had high hopes, but couldn’t open them in Mesh Mixer. The files were grayed out to say they were incompatible with the platform. My only option was to use the limited selection on the program and try again with the downloads the next day,

An experiment in combining meshes and using sculpting tools.

This morning in our studio class, Harriet reassured me that she had also had issues with some object downloads, along with some other members of the group. Taking their tips about which websites are more reliable and where to download the files to, I was finally able to get some usable objects.

My first Mesh Mix with uploaded objects

Here I’ve managed to manipulate orientation, size, proportions and managed to merge some objects together. I also worked out how to duplicate items. I’m still learning my way around this and this simple mix is a big learning curve for me. I still can’t get the objects to become one object but I’m sure I’ll find that tutorial eventually!

One Reply to “Verisimilitude; Week 3 “Learning to Digitally Assemble””

1. Hey Adrian, great strategy starting with smaller numbers of .obj downloads and becoming familiar with working with .obj files , those files become well known material and then you can practice different processes on them. On BB under Verisimilitude,Lock down, Week 3, Guides, Meshmixer basics, Content number 10.Combine and Make Solid there is a method that should work.
    You’ve manipulated the objects really nicely, very ‘tree’, more tree that when you got them.