Down Time – Labour

Today I wanted to work more with sequence and angles within my labour and downtime work. I had the labour to gather all the leaves and left over debris from plants and put them in the garden bin. Therefore I decided to take a photo of every pile from a low angle to show the stature it holds as well as taking a photo of the bin every time a pile is added, this is allowing me to show time within the stills as well as the labour.

I also did some thinking and I want to work towards more how labour has an affect on the labourer, I would mainly focus on the physical outcomes of how labour can affect a person whether this is a big or a small impact.

Lewis Hine

I am looking into Lewis Hine due to the nature of his photography, Lewis was a photographer who worked for the National Child Labour Committee going around photographing the harsh reality of manual labour and child labour that was happening all around the US. The child labour industry was heavily influenced by capitalists who sometimes even used physical force to maintain the speed of the workers. I have gained inspiration from Lewis in the way he doesn’t hide the reality or romanticise the working class and labour in this situation.

This is something I want to achieve, I want to be able to show through my images the harsh physical requirements and punishments of physical labour.