PAINT/PRINT Brief: Process To Image Week 4. Day 3. Artist Research

Artist Research: Charline von Heyl (b1960 , Germany).

Today I was introduced to a number of artists, and Charline von Heylā€™s work stood out to me.  I like her grid type structures in many of her paintings.  Often she paints a layer of vertical lines beneath shapes and objects, or places them in the foreground on top of objects. 

I really like von Heyl’s painting: (Figure 1) below. It relates to Māori weaving with an in and out type of woven pattern, yet is abstracted with some detail, and some smudge-like marks. The thin type objects look like pointy twig sticks, making a link to nature, and perhaps portray a feeling of danger because of their sharpness.

Figure 1. ‘Frenhoferin’ 2009. Acrylic, oli and charcoal on linen. 86 x 82 inches. Charline von Heyl.

This painting has provided me with further ideas to expand on my hat-facial netting drawing: (Figure 2 below) from the second week of the brief. I chose a photograph with a figure wearing a black hat/face netting.

Figure 2. Jean’s Facial Hat Netting – ‘NET ABSTRACTION’ (Drawing from Week 2 of Brief)
Figure 3. Jean’s Facial Hat Netting – ‘NET ABSTRACTION ON FACE’ (Drawing from Week 2 of Brief)

Figures 4, 5, 6, 7. PAINTING PROGRESS from CHARCOAL. I used both wet and dry brush techniques very quickly to make development steps with my Hat/Facial NETTING. As, I completed these in a short timeframe they are messy, rushed and not very careful. If I had time I would use lovely lines, and folds of acrylic to weave under and over with more precision.

Figure 4. Painting – Facial Hat Netting – ‘NET ABSTRACTION SURROUNDING FACE – LION HEAD’
(Painting linked to Week 2 of Brief)
Figure 5. Painting – Facial Hat Netting – ‘NET ABSTRACTION 1’
(Painting linked to Week 2 of Brief)
Figure 6. Painting – Facial Hat Netting – ‘NET ABSTRACTION 2’
(Painting linked to Week 2 of Brief)
Figure 7. A3 Painting showing 3 Dry and Wet Painterly effects – Facial Hat Netting – ‘NET ABSTRACTION’
(Paintings linked to Week 2 of Brief)
Figure 8. Jean’s Facial Hat Netting – ‘BLUE NEON JEAN’ (Digital Drawing from Week 2 of Brief)

These two paintings below (Figures 9, 10) by Charline von Heyl also link to my current work, as yesterday I continued my BLACK & WHITE theme in a checkerboard or chessboard style. Today, I discovered these works which relate.

Figure 9. ‘Dunce’ Acrylic. oil and charcoal on canvas. 82 x 78 inches. Charline von Heyl.
Figure 10. ‘Black and Blue’ 2005. Charcoal, acrylic and oil on canvas. 90 x 85 inches. Charline von Heyl.

For Week 4, our brief requirement was to find an object to paint on. I used verbs such as PUSH, BRUSH and DAB the paint into the foam mattress (Figures 11, 12), and DRIP, DROP, DRIBBLE across the material. I added verbs such as: SPLAT, SMEAR, and SMUDGE onto an interesting hessian string-like hair part, that was still in tact, after I removed the hessian backing off the foam. Instantly, I wanted to paint BLACK & WHITE onto the golden foam, but was careful to leave a negative space. Here there are connections to Charline von Heyl’s black and white checkerboard lines and criss-cross bars and grids.

Figure 11. ‘BLACK WHITE ISLAND 1’ (Painting on Found Object: FOAM Rubbish from Week 4 of Brief) Cathy.
Figure 12. ‘BLACK WHITE ISLAND 2’ (Painting on Found Object: FOAM Rubbish from Week 4 of Brief) Cathy.
Figure 13. ‘BLACK WHITE’ Cover from Video (Left: Painting – Week 1), (Middle: Photograph of a person – Week 2), Painting on a Found Object: FOAM Rubbish – Week 4 of Brief) Cathy.