Week 2 Process into Image

Being in lockdown in my uni dorm, I didn’t have access to as many of the materials I would have if we weren’t in lockdown, and I had to sort of ‘ration’ the supplies I did have so I didn’t run out.

In terms of modifying and ‘confusing’ the images, I used some of my own photos, as well as a screenshot from one of my favourite movies.

For most of these works, I put a piece of thin paper over my computer screen and created works based on what I could see through it. For the first one, I squeezed a line of different coloured paint down where the two characters were standing, then took a dry brush and swiped backwards and forwards until the colours had mostly mixed. It was partly an experiment to see which colour would overtake the other if I used the same amount of each colour. As you can see, the work is very dark green with lots of blue tones, since the blue covered up most of the yellow. The second work is similar, but I placed down some tape before I spread the paint, which was a technique I used during the palimpsest brief While peeling off the tape, I noticed that the angle of the brushstrokes was different on each piece since I had placed them in different directions every time. While placing them on a sheet of paper to photograph, I noticed that the difference in lengths of the tape caused the paper to buckle in an interesting way.

The second image I used was a photo from Karangahake Gorge on my holiday earlier in the year. It was a photo of old minecart tracks taken from a very low angle as it went uphill. With this one, I tried using different mediums and blocking out where the main shadows were in the image, to see how the different substances would work. The orange one on the right is simply acrylic paint, while the more pinkish one on the left is a lipstick I don’t wear very often. The lipstick looks very much like a crayon in the way it made marks on the paper, and I like the texture it creates.

The third image I used was another one I had taken of my friend during a shoot. I loved how dramatic the lighting was, which illuminated the lone figure against a mostly dark background. I wanted to explore that feeling of the solitary figure in these works, so I played with blocking out the main features of the image with different mediums. With the graphite pencil, I tried to keep my wrist loose and not focus too much on the details, so it turned out very rough. The same happened with the brush marker, except I was trying to focus on where the light was hitting and then drawing in those shapes. The seemingly random spots on that image are from where I drew over the lit windows in the apartment building behind my friend.