Artists Research ~ James Lake

James Lake is a British artist who works with recycled cardboard to create these amazing large scale sculptures.

While I was researching and looking for inspiration, I came across Lake’s work and took an immediate interest in how he chose to work with cardboard instead of any other sculpting medium. His works are detailed and defined, working in extreme scales to create intense pieces that cause you to look at each fine detail.

He mostly created human figures, bone structures and such. I find myself unable to look away from the fine lines of his sculptures. It makes me think about his reasoning for using such a material. When I first saw these images, I never once thought they were made from something as simplistic as cardboard. The time and attention to detail definitely leads you to believe his sculptures are created using something else.

I found myself inspired to experiment with the material myself, thus resulting in my monstrous hands. The scale and material are in some ways similar, though my work will never be as detailed as Lake’s.