Photography walk #2

Thursday Week One

Today we were assigned to complete a one hour walk around the city and take photos as if we were tourists in the city. Britney, Abbey and I set off towards Queen Street and we all had a lot of fun pretending we were tourists and taking photos of anything and everything we wanted to. I really enjoyed taking photos of the buildings and people walking around. I also discovered how much street art there was in the city which I hadn’t realised before. 

Feeling Like A Tourist

Taking these photos really did make me feel like a tourist because everything I was looking at I had never really taken the time to notice before. It almost made me feel like I really was in a foreign city. This feeling made It quite a lot easier to embody the assignment and take photos from a tourists perspective. Walking around from this point of view made me remember what it was like being a tourist in New York. When I was in New York, the most interesting and exciting things that stood out to me were the buildings and the people. I believed that New York did have a big difference to Auckland when it came to the architecture and the community, but seeing Auckland today was real weird because I had never looked at the city from this perspective before. 

Britney, Abbey and I discovered some awesome places and we really tried to interact with our environment. If there was a small alleyway, we would walk down it and see if it revealed anything interesting. Every time we did this, we had discovered little gems of creativity from graffiti on the walls even to dumpsters with the most jarring combination of rubbish. It was fun!

Our walk ended up being 2 and 1/2 hours long, a lot longer than what the assignment was. The overtime we spent walking around was – in my opinion – quite valuable to the assignment. We really allows ourselves to connect to the assignment and in doing so, we were able to take so many cool and interesting photos and find such hidden spaces that we wouldn’t have if we had stopped at the one hour mark. 

Today was a very successful day and it gave me so much inspiration :). I enjoyed taking these photos and discovering more about my home city. I have gained a lot of inspiration from this work and I’m quite excited to do another one!. 

Photo Dump 🙂

Textural Photos
Architectural Photos
Photos Without Assumed Category.

This is a very condensed summary of the photos I took during our walk. They are not all of them, but these are some of my favourites :).