‘VERISIMILITUDE’ – ‘Real’ SCULPTURE Techno-Realism: Regard 3D & Meshmixer

TECHNO-REALISM: In Week 2 of Sculpture I used a Photogrammetry Program titled ‘Regard3D‘ to create a 3D model of a real object. My goal was to choose an object of personal significance to generate a virtual model. After photographing a range of objects such as two skull artworks, I achieved the best outcome with a large CONCH seashell. Taking less photographs and carefully zooming in to take close-up shots seem to work best.

Figure 3. First attempt at using my object (Skull 1) in the Regard3D Program – Here my photographs are seen in portions floating around within the computerised sequencing.
Figure 4. What is real? Here is a photograph of an object of significance: a real CONCH SHELL.

My 2-dimensional photographs of a real Conch shell were joined together by computer matches and after a number of steps were made into a 3-dimensional object in the Regard3D program. Then I placed my object into Autodesk Meshmixer. In this program I converted the Conch shell from a mesh surface into a solid object.

Figure 33. Regard3D Computer Program.

The next step is for my solid computerised 3D Conch Seashell to be placed into a CNC Machine in the 3D Lab. Here it will be carved into a Polystyrene foam product… (at a different scale size than the real shell) to become an artwork!