Real Space

I started with photographing my bath. Bathing is something I do to relax and escape my work. So, by adding a desk with work and a chair into that space, I have transformed an environment of relaxation to an environment of productivity and sometimes stress. Immediately I felt the feeling of relaxation dissipate, as I was reminded of the work I needed to do, (the notepad had my notes from today’s lecture). By placing the desk in the centre, the bath becomes inaccessible to lie in, therefore preventing rest. The chair and the busyness of the desk, made the space feel cluttered and me feel slightly claustrophobic.

2 Replies to “Real Space”

1. Really love this work Emma!! The strangeness of having the desk inside the bath is brilliant as well as is a strong way to bring uneasiness into an environment which is naturally relaxing

2. Emma – really pleased to see your response to this exercise. You have not just repeated yesterday and used your body but understood how bodies can be disrupted without even being represented: the body here is not your body but the viewer’s body. This is a significant thing as it recognizes that the viewer is part of the work!👍🏽