Artist Model – Research

James Jean.

James Jean is an artist that has influenced me ever since I first saw his work. I find that my work tends to always hold a small bit of his style, with his colour contrast. His work first stood out to me because of his use of blues and reds, combining them and creating this beautiful imagery that has inspired me ever since. His work is something I think I will continue to talk about forever, he is one of my all-time favourite artists and a piece of his work will usually be seen in my own.

He includes elements of traditional Chinese and Japanese scroll paintings, Japanese woodblock prints and renaissance portraiture, comic books and anime into his works. Jean experiments with different styles and art-historical genres, diminishing the boundaries between new and old and between Eastern and Western artmaking. “The works depict imaginative hallucinations and deja-vus where recurring characters offer twists on long-standing cultural narratives. Sometimes joyous, sometimes sinister, Jean’s paintings retain the youthful escapism of comics while exploring a rich library of historic and contemporary iconography.”

The Willow Tree I – James Jean – 2007 – Color Pencil and Digital, 30 x 22
Hounds – James Jean – 2010 – Acrylic and Oil on Three Canvases, 150 x 72
Thorn – James Jean – 2012 – Oil and Spraypaint on Synthetic Textile, 48 x 72
Cameron – James Jean – 2012 – Acrylic and Oil on Wood Panel, 12 x 12

James Jean – Avant Arte