Stage 1, Brief 1 – Where is Painting? (UPDATED)

Attempt 1
Attempt 2
Attempt 3

With this brief I’m still playing around with waiting times (for glue), texture, shaping and adding more depth and structure to my pieces, I was inspired by Robert Rauschenberg works that we were shown and I had look at a few more and I loved the way he collaged and mashed pieces of art together in a distorted but visually sound way. I feel like my second attempt is a big improvement from my first one but there’s still lots of room for improvement.

For attempt 2 I used a bit of charcoal, pastels and ink pens to help shape / form my work better like some of Robert Rauschenberg’s works, I feel like it added a lot to the piece. I also found out depending on the way I spread the glue I could make patterns or stripes with the news paper.

For my 3rd attempt I tried distorting a newspaper image, it didn’t work out that well although I did like the way the arm connected almost perfectly while the distortion of the dress was still visible, helping connect the piece but keep its interest. I think the concept / idea was good and it’ll be something ill keep in mind for next time.

One Reply to “Stage 1, Brief 1 – Where is Painting? (UPDATED)”

1. Great start on your blog – don’t forget the research each phase of the work. Looking forward to you being able to work more intensely, as your confidence to be explorative is really promising.