P17: Artist Research: William Kentridge

Artist research for the ‘Change it up’ animation task

William Kentridge is a South African artist who uses charcoal to create detailed and immersive animations. These animations vary. From people, landscapes and everything in between Kentridge’s animation process of charcoal sketching, erasing and photographing using an analogue camera is simple yet effective. The accompanying soundtrack makes his pieces more atmospheric and natural – as if he was simply using a battered up monochromatic b+w camera to video a landscape.

Below is a video of a number of Kentridge’s animations through the years. If you aren’t already familiar with his work, I’d highly recommend watching this! The most recent work in this video is from two years ago!

I was interested in researching Kentridge further after watching this interview where he professes his enjoyment for both visual art and the performing arts, similarly to myself. I especially liked the part of the interview when he talks about not listening to other people’s advice who have not been in a similar position before.

Till next time,

SR