Artist Research

Jacqueline Bell Johnson

This artist works in California to create sculptures and instillation art as well as photography. They look at technology and human perception through their art, also focusing on the value of labour through their work.

Their work really speaks to me in the way they use such random and interesting materials in order to create new form with their art. The use of everyday materials being used to bring to life a completely new concept that is completely accessible to accomplish in terms of being able to make things out of materials on hand. I love the movement shown in their images and the use of hanging objects to add to this affect.

Wim Botha

Located in Cape Town they are a South African contemporary artist who works on sculptures that often take up whole spaces.

I love the way this artist uses the shapes of their work to make our brains view these shapes as something we can recognise, it’s cool how they use these simple shapes, intentional or not, to make their art into our own interpretation as viewers of what we are seeing in those shapes. I also enjoy the way they frame this art with more simple shapes that simply are what they are to add some more depth to the art without taking anything away from the other shapes that we recognise from our imaginations and memories.

Jessica Stockholder

Born in Seattle, Washington this artist creates site specific interventions and autonomous floor and wall pieces.

I’m interested in the way that this artist takes a more site specific approach to the others, where they use the site itself as a part of the instillation, which really links the other artists in the ideas with my work. I love the way they create a sort of world in their instillation, with no specific meaning other than it’s placement and connection to the site. I love the complete randomness of the objects used, that somehow work as site specific instillations that look like they belong.