Print Labs #2

This week when working in the print lab tutorials I learned how to use mono printing with ink and turpentine. I found this process to be really enjoyable and it has given me some great ideas on how to create some painting using ink and printing. This is a great technique to use with layering and I’d like to combine this technique with a finished painting when I get to that point. Or even paint on top of a print, or submit the print itself as a painting as the technique I used made my work look very painterly.

Started by applying the ink mixed with turpentine onto the table directly and placing paper on top.
After wiping the table, I saw it made some streaks and marks similar to the ones I made in studio. I think it’s be interesting to paint on top of this.
Then I did some very paint like images of a still life photo, this was 2 layers of prints, one for outlines and shadows and another for lighter outlines and extra highlights.

Here I had messed up the placement of the painted screen but I think the results still look pretty good considering the mistake.
This was another practice of the still life focusing on outlines and highlights.
These are the more successful prints where I aligned the screen correctly. I played around with doing three prints on one. Lines, highlights/shadows and then a background.