PAINTING, WEEK THREE, PTI

Mark making and layering, one image.

I started thinking about my mark-making with my primed base. For one, I used a paint roller, which created a smoother surface with less texture. For another, I just used plain gesso with a brush, and for the other I used gesso diluted with water with a brush.

I then created different backgrounds using different methods. On the plain brushed gesso, I used a dark grey acrylic and brushed it on started on the outer edges, horizontally. On the diluted gesso, I used diluted grey acrylic in a ketchup-style bottle and squirted/poured the paint on it. On the rolled gesso, I used light grey paint and coated the surface.

Then, I started painting my image. On the rolled gesso, I used a sponge to apply the paint, focusing on verbs like drag and dab. On the plain brushed gesso, I used a paintbrush and focused on only using horizontal strokes, with verbs like brush, smear, and spread in mind. On the dripped canvas, I used the same method to drip the paint on, (this resulted in a VERY abstract rework of the image, and would have worked better if the paint had dried between colours).