Semester Two: Week One

Nature Drawing Itself –

Through the process of learning how to produce photographs using paint cans, I found it to be tiring. It’s an unbelievable process and I’m still not quite sure how it works if I’m honest. With the light-sensitive paper and the tiny little hole, somehow we are able to capture an image. It’s an extraordinary way of taking a photographβ€”I just wish it wasn’t so time-consuming.

While keeping the breif in mind, I wanted to focus on nature in a slightly different way. I found quickly that using the dark room wasn’t the best otption for me, and so I started working with both digital and analog processes.

I walked to Albert park and took some photographs of the greenery close to WE building so I could figure out the best timing for the exposure. There were some successes, though most of those trials ended up in being a learning process. With taking more photographs, I was able to understand the right amount of exposure for the right kind of weather.

Week Two:

Photograms –

I found photograms somewhat easier to work withβ€”though I still struggled to be in the dark room. I enjoyed how my images turned out. I picked out a plant that I thought would show up well, and I am so glad it did.

The plant forms a vine like image. The way it shows up on the light sensitive paper intrigues me, if I look at it for too long, I almost begin to imagine where it leads off to. The only plant that I could find that really peaked my interest was this little thin one. I love the way it twists and forms an image.

I ended up holding the plant closer towards the light in order to get a blurred image. After getting such a crisp and clear one, I wanted to see what else I could do with it. I would have left the exposure time a little bit longer, but overallβ€”I am pleased with how they turned out.

As soon as I saw the images once they had dried, I knew I wanted to use them as an overlay.