Sm2-Artist research.

Louis Daguerre

Louis Daguerre was a french artist and photographer. He was mainly known for his invention of the eponymous daguerreotype. The daguerreotype was the first publicly available photography with a less expensive process and yielded more viewable images. From this, he was known as one of the fathers of photography but also composed art, was a scenic designer and was a developer of the diorama theatre.

The Boulevard du Tempale-1838

This piece specifically attracted me as it actually captures a busy street with people constantly moving, but the photo presents us, viewers, as still. The only human visible is the shoe cleaner and the man as they have been there the whole time the photo was taken. This photo intrigued me as to me it looks like a ghost town, extremely barren and gone, but when learning that it was taken over the span of an hour, and the movement wasn’t captured, is so charming. The fact that there was life moving inside the image, but we can’t see it through the image, makes me feel so confused and quite excited. I want to incorporate something similar in my work, something where I know there is movement, or something similar, that cant is seen in the image but only known till given the knowledge. For me, this can be through the wind affecting the trees and moving them, or just having people walking in front. The movement that may/may not be captured is something really exciting to me.

https://www.theartstory.org/artist/daguerre-louis/