week_3 – Movement Phase 1 pt.3

I found myself very excited to glaze my WetLab experiments when the time came. The two trays on the left were more experiments to see how the glaze behaved when one color or layered, and I find both results equally beneficial. The obvious brushmarks of the larger piece show further emphasise that it is handmade, which I find quite charming. In the right photo are the two slip cast eggs, the white of which got stuck to the plaster mold as I was pulling it out. This created a bump in it, but along with the stained colors from the mold on it I think this result is something I quite like. The black glazed piece is twisted slay, which I’m not too sure on. I like the idea of twisting the clay, but I believe more experiments are needed if I wish to achieve the results I want.

Heading back to the WetLab and working with Harriet to brainstorm, I created a thin plaster slab. At first I stared at it for a while, quite unsure of what to do, but after speaking with Harriet I created these channels for plaster to fill in, with the intent of layering another lot of plaster perpendicular to the first. It’s currently drying, so pictures to come! I am not sure how this will turn out, but I am thinking I will make about three of these pieces, with slight variations to each.

Artist Research

When speaking with John about my leaning towards paint and linear patterns, he encouraged me to use sculpture AS paint. This idea, along with my ideas to layer more cardboard on the wall, has inspired me greatly. Ben Nicholson’s 1934 (relief), is simple yet effective. I appreciate the single color, or lack thereof, and the subtle shadows created by overlapping card. I often lean towards quite illustrative works, but something about this abstract piece makes me know I will look to it as a constant reference when moving forward with this brief. I Paint therefore to Weave #1 by Isabel Quaresma appears as a painting, but is labelled as a sculpture by the artist. The linear overlapping of the canvas and the natural tones has inspired my creation in studio, and keeps me on the thoughts of ‘sculpture as paint’.