Artist research 1-3:

Jackson Pollock:

the thing I love the most about Jackson pollock’s work is his choice of colours. he almost always uses at least 4 colours, and also almost always uses black and white with them. the contrast between the bright and the harsh colours adds more dimension to the work and shows the layers more clearly and how they have been blended together.

I also like his process for making his art. the mark-making of the dripping and pouring means he has less control over how the artwork will turn out and adds to the abstractness of his work.

Calum Innes:

I love how simple yet effective Calum Innes’s artwork is, it’s so minimalist to the naked eye, but the process in which he makes marks on the canvases is so interesting. also, the marks it leaves behind, not just on the work itself but the space and the walls he’s working against have this trace left behind on them.

His Exposed Paintings series, which is created by piling pigments onto the canvas and then erasing the oil paint with washes of turpentine, is what he is best known for. the act of painting and then unpainting is a technique I haven’t seen before and would be excited to try it in my own work.

Elisabeth Peyton:

I love this style of painting where it’s not too detailed and realistic but the brush strokes create the image perfectly while staying simple. Elisabeth Peyton’s colour palettes she uses complement each other so well, with a lot of neutrals mixed with bright colours and creating the perfect contrast. I also think there’s something intimate about how she paints people, whether its that she has a connection to the subjects or if her paintings are just good at beautifully showing emotion.