Palimpsest Reflection: Week 1.

Generating Ideas.

Split placemat used to print lines onto the paper using acrylic, then used as the canvas to work on. Book pages glued to act as a base to collage, print, and paint on. Also, the kind of random objects brought some sort of idea, shape, and texture to a piece.

Starting with collected materials from my neighbors; newspapers, magazines, and a book. Like many others, I too experienced horror vacui. I came up with a collage of some interesting pieces I found not knowing if I was on the right track. The more printed matter and objects I found it definitely helped to expand my ideologies further.

Furthermore, artists that inspired me were; Mark Bradford, Robert Rauschenberg, and Cecily Brown. Picking out things that stood out for me, helped me to branch those ideas out a bit more. So abstraction, layering, mark-making, and the use of what’s available at that moment.

In these pieces, I’ve used book pages, magazine cut-outs, blue, yellow, white paint, as well as black gel food coloring to act as ink. Ryder encouraged me to use the table placemat as canvas/ printing because of the rope texture. Playing around with that idea, I split it in half and used round objects painting their outlines to get a stamp effect. On the other half, I painted on it to see how it printed onto paper and to the canvas effect. These are a few things that impacted the start for me.

One Reply to “Palimpsest Reflection: Week 1.”

1. Kia ora Kinilofea,
    This was a good start to your palimpsest brief blog – but what happened after this? Kinilofea, we need to see regular entries in your blog (several times each week), with photos of your work and written commentary about your thoughts about this work. We also need to see evidence of your research for this brief (posts about other artists from the brief’s reading list). Could you please update your blog retrospectively and put in photos (and comments) on your final display of work for this brief, as we will review your whole blog at the end of the semester to see how your work has developed over the semester.
    Your final studio work however, looked great – it was great to see you explore the potential in the media and process to develop ideas. There was a clear sense of development in your work which has help you resolve the work. You had a good handle on the brief and developed work in imaginative and explorative ways. Congratulations this is a great start to art school!